Most of your belongings can be covered by renters insurance, except for a few high-value items. If you have personal property coverage, the following items can be reimbursed to the insurance company in case of theft or damage
• Furniture (e.g., chairs or lamps)
• Gadgets or electronics (e.g., phone or laptop)
• Appliances (e.g., microwave oven or television set)
• Jewelry (e.g., gems or precious gold which are valued up to a certain amount)
• Clothes (e.g., any clothing item stolen inside the home or in a self-service laundry shop)
• Others (e.g., your bicycle or cash up to $200)
Claiming insurance for the above-listed items are still subject to some conditions. One of these is that they pay the participation fee deducted from the amount to be reimbursed. There is also a ceiling on the amount that can be claimed for each item. For example, insurance companies will only pay you for a regular T.V., not a gigantic screen fit for a home theater. Of course, this depends on your insurance coverage. If you have a luxurious lifestyle, it is highly suggested that you get higher coverage.